Friday March 20, 2020
Are you confused why the coronavirus is more dangerous than your common seasonal flu?
What is the seasonal flu?
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The RNA chains that make up the seasonal flu are recognized by the human immune system. Because the human immune system recognizes this virus, the body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year. This partial immunity gives the body a head start if contracted year over year.
What is COVID-19?
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease that can spread from human to human. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China.
Why is COVID-19 so dangerous?
Coronavirus originally existed in animals only. That changed in Wuhan China in December 2019 when it mutated and transferred from animal to humans (COVID-19 was born). Why COVID-19 is so dangerous is at first, humans could not contract the virus from animals. As we’ve seen in the news, that is no longer the case. Since this virus originated from animals, humans have no natural immunity against it compared to the seasonal flu.
Does COVID-19 have a season like flu season?
Although some respiratory diseases like the flu do decline in warmer months, there is currently not enough evidence to determine if COVID-19 will decrease its spread as summer approaches.
Is there a vaccine for COVID-19?
There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19.
Is there any specific treatment for COVID-19?
Currently, there is no specific antiviral treatment for COVID-19.
Who is at risk of catching COVID-19?
COVID-19 can make anyone sick regardless of their race or ethnicity. Older adults and people with underlying health conditions, such as diabetes, lung disease, or heart disease, appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
What are severe complications from COVID-19?
Some patients can develop pneumonia in both lungs, multi-organ failure, coma, and in some cases death.
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle aches
How does COVID-19 spread?
The primary way COVID-19 spreads is through droplets formed when someone coughs or sneezes. These droplets can travel three to six feet landing on people or surfaces where the virus can be contracted.
Did you know? Evidence indicates that the COVID-19 can survive on surfaces for a few hours to several days which may vary under different conditions such as type of surface and environment.
How do I protect myself against COVID-19?
If you are sick, to keep from spreading the illness to others:
- Staying home (self quarantine)
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash, and wash your hands
Did you know? King Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed.
Here are some simple yet effective ways to protect yourself against this threatening virus:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces several times a day.
Did you know? It’s more effective to use common disinfectants like rubbing alcohol or a 10:1 water to bleach solution. Why? Because vodka and scotch do not have high enough concentrations of alcohol to be considered a disinfectant
- Build your immune system
How do I naturally build my immune system?
- Stress management. Chronic stress suppresses your immune system by the release of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol inhibits T-cells from signaling the body. (T-cells kill the bad guys)
- Working out regularly can mobilize your T cells (a type of white blood cell)
- Sunlight is a major contributor of Vitamin D production in the body. Vitamin D aids the body to produce antibodies
- Load up on superfoods! A superfood is a food that has more nutrients (antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals) for your body when comparing calorie to calorie with another food
What is our favorite superfood?
Noni Fruit of course!
For good reason! Research has identified over 165 beneficial compounds in Noni. The three very important compounds that make noni fruit a superfood are damnacanthal, anthraquinones and antioxidants.
Damnacanthal has been shown to stimulate T-cell activity which may help address various forms of damaged cells and naturally boost the immune system. Go to pubmed.gov and look up “damnacanthal noni” if you want to learn the specifics.
Anthraquinones are a type of phenol produced by some plants. Phenols are reactive molecules that help plants do a variety of things, including deter predators, prevent oxidation, and more. Many phenols, including a number of anthraquinones, have shown evidence of being beneficial for human health.
Antioxidants neutralize free radicals produced by poor diet, environmental exposures, stress and toxic personal habits. Daily antioxidant intake delivers preventive effects by slowing the oxidative processes and free radical damage that contribute to age-related degeneration and disease. The US Department of Agriculture has determined that a person should consume foods and supplements with at least 3000-5000 units per day. Lab tests have shown that one 2 inch by 2 inch piece of Noni Fruit Leather delivers 6024 units.
We have just received our most recent test results for the shelf life and potency of our Noni Fruit Leather. Our Noni Fruit Leather was put through an “Accelerated Stability Studies Test” by UBE Analytical Laboratories in California. Our Noni Fruit Leather was placed in air chambers at 40 C or 104 F at 75% humidity for 3 months. Scientifically, at those conditions the results equate to a 2 year period.
UBE Analytical Laboratories tested for Coliform, E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus Aureus, Yeast and Mold. The air chamber conditions of 104 F and 75% humidity are optimum conditions for bacterium, fungi, mold and yeast to grow. Our results: “All Negative”
We also tested “Potency Retention” levels for Scopoletin (anti-inflammatory), Damnacanthal (promotes cell growth), Anthraquinone (antibacterial, etc.) and ORAC (antioxidants). The Laboratory tested the initial levels detected at day 1 and every 30 days thereafter for 3 months. Again, the test conditions in the air chamber are Accelerated Stability Tests that equate to a 2 year period. Our results: a 1% decrease in potency after a 2 years period.
We received four pages of numbers and data from the testing laboratory. I had to call the Head Chemist and ask him: "What do all these numbers mean?”
What we are doing at Hawaiian Organic Noni to ensure your safety during the COVID-19 crisis
Your health/safety and the health/safety of our staff is our top priority!
In order to accomplish this we have the following safety measures in place:
- Farmer's markets on Kauai have been cancelled
- Farm tours of the noni farm have been cancelled
- We are supplementing our employees who work the farmer’s markets income to ensure they can feed their families
- Since our product is considered a raw food, we’ve taken the extra precaution of only 2 people handling the product when processing
- In addition to hand washing and wearing gloves, we are also wearing face masks during processing
To ease your concerns, we also have the following information to share:
- No one on the farm has contracted the virus
- Our 70 acre family farm is isolated along the coastline. We are miles from the nearest town and acres from the closest neighbor
- On the farm we have implemented extra precautionary measures e.g. “social/physical distancing”, washing hands with soap for a minimum of 20 seconds and not coming to work if you feel unwell
- The processing facility has always had a very strict cleaning plan implemented. As added precautions, we now clean all door knobs, light switches, counter/table tops and mop the floor areas with disinfectant every 4 hours
- We will continue to run at peak production to ensure your needs are met
- We are annually inspected by the USDA and the State of Hawaii Health Department. We have never received any violation notice after any inspection for the past 25 years. Cleanliness is the guardian rule in our processing facility
In closing, in this time of possible extreme stress and confusion, it is always good to remember you are what you eat but you are also what you think. Thoughts are very potent to our health and well being. Remember to be positive and help your neighbor. There is a very old Sufi mystic saying: “With kind words and a sweet tongue, you can lead an elephant by a hair”. That is the importance of our thoughts, words and actions.
From all of us at Hawaiian Organic Noni