Wednesday October 30, 2019
October 16th is World Food Day. To celebrate, we at Hawaiian Organic Noni are focusing on raw whole food #HealthyEating all month long! Check out our website for our Healthy Eating Series blogs as well as the upcoming newsletters this month breaking down the definition of superfoods and the benefits of incorporating more plants into your diet. In the meantime, here are some simple tips to jump start your #HealthyEating lifestyle:
Want to add more superfoods into your diet?
- The more colorful your plate, the more flavonoids and antioxidants you are consuming
- Add greens (like kale, cabbage, and spinach) to soups, chilis, and stir fries.
- Ensure you have a fruit or a vegetable every time you eat. Bananas are an easy, travel friendly option. Noni and bananas are a perfect match!
- Make turmeric, cumin, oregano, ginger, and cinnamon your go-to spices to increase antioxidants in your food (click here for recipes)
- Snack on nuts, seeds, and dried fruit instead of crackers and chips
- Snack on Noni Fruit Leather to feed the cells of your body and satisfy hunger cravings
Did you know? A study hosted by the Oxford cohort of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-Oxford) involving around 65,000 participants concluded vegetarians had a 19% lower risk of death from heart disease.
The American Dietetic Association has these tips for people who want to stop eating meat:
- Vary your foods. Include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts.
- Use organic pasture raised eggs and dairy products in moderation, if at all.
- Have a regular source of vitamin B12 to maintain energy.
- Include hemp, quinoa, and noni fruit for all of your essential amino acids.
- Ensure your intake of vitamin D, if exposure to sunlight is low.
The true traditional use for thousands of years by Polynesians and Hawaiians, was to eat the raw fruit to promote good health - to boost the immune system and support energy levels. Raw noni fruit can give you energy, improves digestion and addresses many persistent conditions such as maintaining normal blood pressure and blood sugar levels already within a normal range.
“I like sucking on the Noni Fruit Leather, letting it dissolve in my mouth and allowing the nutrients to be absorbed under the tongue and into the body. Or simply dissolve in warm water to make a tea with a flavoring you like and drink to your health!”
Also, as we have talked this month about superfoods- it is very important to consider how your food is processed as heat and fermentation destroys most if not all of the beneficial compounds. That is why at Hawaiian Organic Noni, we developed a low heat dehydration process below 115F and use only non-fermented fruit to maintain the full potency of the raw noni fruit.
Natural antioxidants are one of the best ways to protect the body from oxidation, free radicals, and cell damage. Many researchers even believe that natural antioxidants can protect your body against forming certain types of cancer.
What does ORAC stand for?
ORAC stands for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.
How is ORAC measured?
- Molecules that are vulnerable to oxidation (such as beta-phycoerythrin or fluorescein) are added to a sample of food.
- The sample receives a dose of molecules that generate free radical activity (such as an azo-initiator compound).
Did you know? Azo-initiators produce free radicals by using heat. Heating the sample damages the vulnerable molecules resulting in oxidation.
- After oxidation occurs which can take up to 40 min, a lab measures how successful the food sample protected the vulnerable molecules from the free radicals.
What are free radicals?
A free radical is an oxygen molecule that is in need of another molecule to pair with. This “free radical” will “steal” a molecule from another cell creating another “free radical”. Oxidative stress caused by free radicals are produced during normal cell function, pollutants in our air, water, and even food.
Bring Nutritious Snacks To-Go
Snacks are the area where most of us cheat the most on our nutritional aspirations, but it’s also one of the greatest opportunities to sub in fresh, raw fruits and vegetables! Whole fruits and veggies make great snacks all on their own, but adding a yogurt dip rich in proteins and healthy fats can help curb the “crunch cravings”.
Start off first thing in the morning by replacing your morning cup of coffee with a simple raw food that gives you a side-effect free energy boost: Noni Fruit Leather. The best news: that energy boost comes along with tons of antioxidants, beneficial enzymes, and 165+ other beneficial compounds.
Steve’s Tip: An energy boost is one of the first positive effects that many people experience when they start taking Noni Fruit Leather every day. Here on the farm, it’s how we all start the day!
Ask yourself: How do I feel after eating healthy foods (fruits and veggies) compared to other foods (junk food)? How can I make changes to feel this healthy everyday?
Remember: You are in control of your health, one bite at a time…..
Check back next month for additional tips!
To your new #HealthyEating lifestyle and new YOU