Wednesday January 9, 2019
What is TBI Sport Awareness?
TBI stands for Traumatic Brain Injury. According to the American Physical Therapy Association, approximately 1.7 million head injuries occur in the United States each year. TBI Winter Sport Awareness month exists because TBI is usually misdiagnosed. Misdiagnosed TBI can lead to severe medical complications or death.
Did you know? Approximately 52,000 people die every year due to TBI.
- A headache that worsens or does not go away within a reasonable amount of time
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Convulsions or seizures
- Inability to awaken from sleep
- Slurred speech
- Weakness or numbness in the arms and legs
- Dilated eye pupils
High ranking sports with TBI injuries:
- Over 3.3 million head injuries were reported in seven sports between 2000 and 2011.
- Skateboarding, snowboarding, and skiing contained the highest number of head and neck injuries.
- Mountain biking, and snowmobiling contained the lowest numbers.
- Approximately 30% of concussions in extreme sports occurred in snowboarding.
- Snow skiing was associated approximately 25% concussions.
Most sports injuries occur due to the following:
- Lack of education and awareness regarding safety precautions
- Inappropriate or lack of equipment.
Safety precautions that can help prevent injury:
- Wear appropriate equipment and safety gear.
- Ensure gear is in working condition and safe to use.
- Take regular breaks during any activity to prevent muscle overuse.
- Hydrate, stretch, and grab a nutritious snack (consume some Noni Fruit Leather!).
- Enforce safety rules.
- If playing a sport, remove players refusing to follow safety rules.
- Take lessons.
- Basic lessons can help one become aware of risks and how to avoid injury such as how to fall when snowboarding.
Twenty years ago, I began working with Melody Toth, Sports Trainer at the University of Hawaii, using our Noni lotions on injured athletes. It was truly an eye opener for me with many rewarding experiences. I love following college sports. Especially the University of Hawaii’s basketball, football, baseball, and volleyball teams. I first approached Mel when a star basketball player at UH was out for the season with an injured Achilles tendon. On our farm, we had found that applying the Noni lotions to pulled muscles or torn ligaments would relieve the pain and address the condition within 24-48 hours. I flew to Honolulu to give Mel our first Noni Lotion to try on the injured basketball player. Mel was very open to trying the lotion as all other methods she tried had not worked. She applied the Noni Lotion three times per day to his Achilles tendon and found the player experienced immediate pain relief when applied. I received a phone call in 10 days later. The player’s condition had completely healed and was going to play that night in the opening tournament of the season!! Several years later with Mel assistance, we developed the Icy Heat Noni Lotion with the added menthol crystals and camphor oil for quicker response to pain as the Noni in the lotion is able to penetrate faster and deeper.
After Mel retired, we developed the IcyHeat Sports Formula lotion at the request of the head football trainer at the University of Hawaii. Eric (the trainer), requested 1% more menthol crystals and camphor oil for an even quicker response to pain relief. The extra menthol crystal and camphor oil expedited the relief by faster penetration into the affected area. I personally have the IcyHeat Sports Formula lotion next to my bed for nighttime use to relieve muscle cramps.
We now have many Physical Therapists using our organic Noni products in their private practices to address various muscle, ligament, bone issues, and cramp relief. Many athletes apply the IcyHeat Sport Formula lotion before sporting events to prevent muscle cramping and tiredness.
Remember this trick:
Apply the lotions to the bottom of both feet first and then apply to the localized area for even faster relief. Why? There are over 7000 nerve endings in the bottom of your feet. Therefore, applying the IcyHeat Noni lotions to the bottom of both feet first allows the nerve ending in the feet to absorb the lotion faster and disperse throughout the body faster. Then apply to the localized area with pain. It works!!
The article: “Why We Love to Rub Noni on Our Bodies” discusses how Noni may help with your pain relief and act as a natural preventative. Retired Sports Trainer at the University of Hawaii, Melody Toth, is interviewed with her recommendations for applying the IcyHeat Noni lotion for pain relief from her personal experiences using the lotion on athletes at the university over the years.
It is very rewarding for everyone at Hawaiian Organic Noni to receive the phone calls or emails with new Testimonials. We have learned from you all, many new uses for our organic Noni products.