Tuesday October 6, 2015
Chronic pain is one of the least understood diseases in the human body. It can occur in people of all ages, varies widely in severity, and can affect any part of the body. By most definitions, chronic pain is any pain that lasts for more than 12 weeks, but it can last for years, or even a lifetime.
The battle with pain can feel like a hopeless one, as you try to chase down the source and find a solution that works. We want to share an old Polynesian pain solution, used for thousands of years to naturally tackle chronic pain at the source.
That solution is noni fruit, which we grow on our organic family farm on Kauai. I have personally seen the power of noni as a natural pain reliever. It’s not a miracle, but given a true test, noni is amazingly effective at battling pain in a lasting way.
Acknowledge Chronic Pain for What It Is
Everyone feels chronic pain a little differently. Some people feel pain in their muscles and joints, and others suffer from debilitating headaches. Some cases are episodic, others continuous. Sometimes chronic pain takes an emotional toll, affecting mental health and causing fatigue and depression.
In all cases, chronic pain is a disease which can be treated. If you’ve been in pain for a long time and haven’t taken your symptoms seriously, give yourself permission to get some help.
Ways to Take Action
- Let your friends and family in on what’s been going on, if they don’t already know, so they can support you when you really need it
- Join a support group—pain can be isolating, and sometimes just knowing you aren’t alone can help you cope
- Take care of yourself by keeping up your hygiene, staying as social as possible, and eating healthful, nourishing foods
- Express yourself with art, music, writing, or anything else that lets out your feelings in a constructive, healthy way
- Find a doctor you trust and start seeking out a holistic, mind-body treatment
The really tough thing about chronic pain is, often there isn’t an easy answer that magically makes the pain go away. But by taking action to promote your health, you can improve and learn to manage your pain, rather than letting it manage you!
Reduce Dependence on Painkillers
When you’re battling with pain, it’s often necessary to fight with any weapons available. Many people combat chronic pain with prescription painkillers or heavy use of NSAIDs (drugs like ibuprofen). Up to a certain extent, these drugs may be a necessary part of your healing process.
But those drugs take a toll on the body, especially your stomach and liver, and you can easily become dependent on them. Many have side-effects that can cause issues in different parts of your body, or which can add to the mental/emotional damage.
Taking steps to reduce painkiller use is a very difficult part of chronic pain management, and every case is different. When you’re ready, consult with your doctor and work with them to reduce medication usage, if possible.
One way to reduce your dependence on pharmaceutical painkillers is to use natural, side-effect free ones, without any added chemicals. It sounds too good to be true, but they are out there.
Noni fruit is one of the most powerful natural painkillers in the world, containing many different compounds with analgesic and anti-inflammatory qualities. Applied topically, it dramatically reduces the symptoms of pain and swelling.
Noni’s analgesic powers are backed by science. According to published research in the January 2010 issue of Phytotherapy Research (24:38-42), researchers from the University Clinic in Hamburg, Germany, found that when extracts of noni fruit puree were applied to injuries, the “effect was comparable to hydrocortisone.”
Acta Pharmacologica Sinica (23:1127-1141) published another study which found that noni extract is a dosage-related anti-inflammatory and central analgesic. In fact, they found that it was 75 percent as strong as morphine, had no toxic level, and caused no side-effects.
How to Apply Noni for Pain Relief
We offer two different topical noni lotions that are great for pain relief. Our Noni Lavender Lotion is a gentle, soothing formula made of organic, pureed noni fruit leather. If you like the icy-hot sensation of menthol and camphor, try our IcyHeat Noni Lotion, also made of organic dried noni pulp.
Both or either of these lotions can be an important part of your treatment of chronic pain. Here’s how to use them:
- If using IcyHeat Noni Lotion, apply it to the bottoms of the feet first for faster pain relief. This strange trick has proven itself time and time again at trade shows and farmers markets. Because there are so many nerve endings in the feet, the noni enters the body quicker by penetrating every tissue of the body.
- With either lotion type, apply a generous coat of noni lotion to the skin.
- You can massage if you like, but make sure you end with a layer of noni on your skin that you then let air dry.
- In many cases, the pain relief happens right away, but it may take a period of continuous usage, depending on your condition and its severity.
- Apply 3-4 times per day for severe pain, especially before bed.
Supplement Your Diet with Noni Fruit Leather
Applying noni topically relieves the symptoms of pain, and can do some to reduce inflammation and heal tissues from the outside in. But to truly get to the source of the problem, try adding raw, organic Noni Fruit Leather to your diet.
When eaten, noni fruit works from the inside out to promote good health in all the body’s systems. It’s especially good at managing inflammation, often a major contributor to chronic pain. Noni also improves circulation and boosts immune function.
For 10 years, Dr. Issell conducted research on cancer patients at the University of Hawaii. At his opening dissertation, he presented two bar graphs.
The first graph showed that when they gave subjects the equivalency of two 2x2 inch pieces per day of our Noni Fruit Leather, half of the test group of 48 people reported feeling pain free. The other bar graph showed that when they gave subjects the equivalency of four 2x2 inch pieces per day of our Noni Fruit Leather, the whole test group of 48 persons reported that they were pain free.
How to Use Noni Fruit Leather
- Tear off a 2x2 inch square of noni fruit leather.
- You can eat the fruit leather, roll it up into a ball and swallow like a pill, or dissolve it into tea. Some people don’t like the flavor of noni, but we find it’s an acquired taste. By simply dissolving our Noni Fruit Leather in warm or cold liquid and adding cinnamon, lemon juice or herb tea will mask the cheesy flavor of noni.
- Noni typically takes some time to have a noticeable effect. It’s not a miracle, as I said earlier, but give it a true test before you dismiss it.
- For chronic pain conditions, we recommend taking two to four 2x2 inch pieces per day.
- If taking multiple pieces per day, split the dosage up by taking half in the morning and half in the evening. That way the noni is in your body every 12 hours, rather than taking it all at once every 24 hours.
Over the course of several weeks, you’ll find that not only is your pain improving, but your mood and energy levels rise as well. Chronic pain is a mind-body disease, and it requires a treatment that addresses both. This is why I love noni so much for chronic pain.
If you’ve been under the thumb of chronic pain too long, give noni a try today.