Wednesday October 17, 2018
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a waxy substance used in the body to produce membranes, bile acids (helps digest fat), vitamin D, and hormones.
Did you know? Cholesterol is created in the liver and travels via lipids (fatty acids) through the bloodstream.
When it comes to cholesterol, the problem lies when we consume too much unhealthy food resulting in cholesterol buildup (also called plaque) in the blood. Excess cholesterol can cause stroke, high blood pressure, and heart attacks.
There are three lipoproteins in the blood that are important for good health. These are what doctors review when testing cholesterol levels.
Triglycerides- A lipid in the bloodstream that aids in storing excess energy.
|Total cholesterol||LDL cholesterol||Triglycerides||HDL cholesterol|
Below 200 mg/dL Desirable
100-129 mg/dL Desirable
Below 150 mg/dL Desirable
60 mg/dL and above Desirable
240 mg/dL and above High
160-189 mg/dL High
200-499 mg/dL High
Naturally Maintain Cholesterol Levels already within a Normal Range
Foods to avoid:
- Refined carbohydrates – Signals the liver to increase cholesterol production causing inflammation in the body.
- Alcohol – Excessive alcohol consumption signals the liver to increase cholesterol production causing inflammation.
- Hydrogenated fats – Such as canola oil can increase cholesterol levels and cause inflammation.
- Trans fats – Increases LDL (bad cholesterol) and causes inflammation.
Foods to consume:
- Omega-3 fats (EPA and DHA) – Such as chia and flax can help increase HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
- Soluble fiber – Fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds are naturally high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber binds to cholesterol in the GI tract causing it to be excreted by the body.
- Olive oil – Helps raise HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
- Niacin (vitamin B3)- Foods such as mushrooms, peanuts, and peas can reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels by 25% while increasing HDL (good cholesterol) levels by 35%.
- Garlic and onions – Contain sulfur which is known to assist the body in cleansing the arteries ultimately lowering cholesterol levels.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) – This powerful natural antioxidant protects LDL (bad cholesterol) from oxidation. LDL (bad cholesterol) becomes more reactive with surrounding tissues causing damage when oxidized by free radicals. Click here to read more about natural antioxidants
- Noni Fruit Leather- A single 2X2 inch square for maintenance. Consume two to four 2X2 inch squares for persistent conditions.
Noni and Cholesterol Levels
A Pakistani-Saudi research team used water- and ethanol-based extracts of noni fruit, to treat laboratory rats with dyslipidemia (elevated levels of cholesterol). The team discovered that noni fruit extract significantly reduced cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Their results were published in a 2010 issue of “Lipids in Health and Disease.”
Did you know? A meta-analysis comprised of 54 studies reveal that cigarette smokers cholesterol levels are approximately 3% higher while triglyceride levels were 9% higher than nonsmokers.
Dr Mian-Ying Wang (University of Illinois College of Medicine, Rockford) led a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial comprised of 132 heavy cigarette smokers designed to investigate the effects of noni juice on cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Volunteers consumed noni juice (fruit juice for placebo volunteers) daily for 30 days. Volunteers consuming noni juice experienced a drastic reduction in cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The placebo volunteers, did not experience a significant difference in cholesterol and triglyceride levels during the trial.
Different animal models were used to evaluate the possible anti-dyslipidemic effects of noni fruit. Results showed noni fruit inhibited the increase of lipid levels similar to HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (or "statins") drugs. It is thought this is due to the fact that noni fruit is rich in flavones (white or yellow pigment compound of plants), which are known to inhibit lipid biosynthesis.
The Problem with Noni Juice
As a general rule, 50% of the nutritional value is lost in juicing fruits and vegetables. The actual pulp is where the bulk of the nutrients are. In addition, noni juice is usually fermented and pasteurized. The juicing and fermentation process destroys key nutrients and enzymes. To solve this issue, Steve Frailey from Hawaiian Organic Noni created Noni Fruit Leather.
Exactly how potent is Noni Fruit Leather? We sent our Noni Fruit Leather and two commercial noni juices to a 3rd party lab. The results we received were astounding. Our Noni Fruit Leather is 14 times more potent than noni juice! When measuring the antioxidant values (ORAC Click here to learn more), a daily 2x2 inch serving size of Noni Fruit Leather provided 6024 ORAC units to 1oz serving of noni juice 433 ORAC units.
Our Noni Fruit Leather is a certified organic pure raw food. The noni fruit is organically grown, hand picked and processed on our farm here in Hawaii. The low-heat drying system below 115 degrees Fahrenheit for over 60 hours, provides for maximum potency. Too good to be true? Enjoy the testimonial below!
Noni Leather Works Wonders - BEST PRODUCT
We went to Kauai last September and saw the Noni Leather and Noni lotions at the Farmers Market. We decided to go to the tour at the actual Noni Farm. The tour was very informative. I would recommend everyone to take that tour. We purchased the Noni Leather, Noni Lavender Lotion and the IcyHeat Noni Lotion. I have sciatica and the Noni lotions have helped with the pain. Each day I take a 2X2 piece of Noni Leather. In November I took a blood test to check my cholesterol. My cholesterol was 218. I check my cholesterol every six month. In May I went to take another blood test to check my cholesterol. My doctor told me if my cholesterol numbers don't go down I will need to take medication. For the last few months I had gone on vacation and wasn't eating as healthy as I usually do. The doctor called me and said my cholesterol was 184. My cholesterol went from 218 to 184 in 6 months. The doctor asked if I was taking medication. The only thing I had added to my diet was the NONI Leather each day. I would recommend NONI to everyone. It has done WONDERS for me.
- Liz Wong